When divorcing, you need to know how divorce lawyers bill the process, rest assured that it is very complex and does not involve anything. Divorce lawyers make up a whole structure, and fees may not always include only their services but also others in their office. It is for this reason that they tend to use a combination of fixed rates and hourly rates.
For many lawyers, the fixed fee structure is about preparing and filing the necessary documents.
They also charge you any filing fees required by the court and any fees they must pay to obtain certain types of documentation needed to prepare your case. The more work they do on your case, the more money you will have to pay for the divorce.
All divorce lawyers are different, so you will be disappointed if you think you can get an accurate estimate of how much your divorce will cost. There are too many factors that divorce lawyers include in their fees for them to be able to tell a potential new client with any degree of accuracy how much their divorce will cost.
There are many different tasks for which they will bill clients at a flat rate or by the hour. How each bill for these items will vary, so you will need to ask each of the divorce attorneys you are looking for their individualized assessment of the divorce preparation process.
- Preparing and filing a divorce petition
- Valuation of all family and business assets
- Transfer of ownership of a real estate
- Preparation of supplements such as alimony, alimony/spousal support, property division, and child custody
- Representation in court
- Negotiations with ex-spouse’s divorce lawyer
- Re-registration of the case for real estate
- Preparation of a divorce agreement
- Any time office staff spend mailing, archiving, and making phone calls related to your case.
- Service fee for procedural or registered mail for delivery of divorce application and final judgment.
You should not take this information for granted, as each divorce lawyer will distribute their fees differently. Some of the above items may not be necessary in your case, while some divorce lawyers may even group some of the items into a more general category. Click here to engage a lawyer in Singapore for Divorce matters.
You will find that divorce lawyers use a combination of flat fees and hourly rates customized for each client. There are no two identical divorces, so that the fee will differ.